Re: C-x v v no longer works the way it used to

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: C-x v v no longer works the way it used to
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 19:59:42 -0700

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>:
  > > This patch fixes it.
  > > vc-next-action still has the logic to deal with unregistered files,
  > > but vc-deduce-fileset would not return one...
  > > This patch is technically incorrect because it changes
  > > vc-deduce-fileset to not do what it's docs says it has to do.
  > > Not sure how the new VC design is supposed to work to fix it
  > > properly...
  >
  > You had the right general idea; the strategy has to go through
  > vc-deduce-fileset in order not to break the design.  But your patch
  > produces behavior that won't be welcome in commands other than
  > vc-next-action, so I put the arm you added under control of
  > a new boolean argument ALLOW-UNREGISTERED.

Now this points to another issue:
vc-next-action does this:

      (mapc 'vc-register files))

But vc-register is defined like this:

(defun vc-register (&optional set-revision comment)

i.e. it does not have a file parameter, it works on the current
buffer.

The easy fix would probably be to change the mapc call to do a
with-current-buffer. But it might be better to change vc-register to
take a fileset parameter...