Re: doc-view compilation warnings

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: doc-view compilation warnings
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:59:03 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> But someone should decide: Is loading doc-view when opening
>> ps/pdf/dvi files ok?
>
> It doesn't look like a problem to me, as long as it doesn't show PS
> files using doc-view by default.
>
> Note that it may be simpler to setup auto-mode-alist to map *.ps to
> ps-mode and dvi and pdf files to doc-view-mode and then change ps-mode
> to activate doc-view-minor-mode explicitly and unconditionally.  That
> will save you from defining doc-view-mode-maybe.

Ok, I'll do that.

But still: what keybinding can I use for toggling?  ps-mode aldeady
binds `C-c C-c'.  Or maybe we should change the binding for
`ps-run-clear' in ps-mode to some other key that `C-c C-c'?

> I'd also be very happy to get rid of the
> doc-view-clean-auto-mode-alist monstrosity by just saying "if you're
> not using doc-view-minor-mode, then toggling off doc-view puts you in
> fundamental-mode",

I don't get you here.  If someone has his buffer in d-v-m and toggles to
an editing mode I can activate d-v-minor-mode unconditionally.

> or if you want to be fancier, then save the previous major-mode when
> entering doc-view-mode (when possible) and reuse that value when
> exiting it (like picture-mode does).

Ok, that sounds reasonable.  And if there was no previous major mode (or
it was doc-view-mode) I can fall back to fundamental mode.

I'll implement those changes later today.

Bye,
Tassilo