Re: apropos commands for commands, user options, all functions, all vari

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: apropos commands for commands, user options, all functions, all variables
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 23:59:45 +0300

>     I often use my own implementation of `set-variable' that doesn't restrict
>     its argument only to options.  I wonder what is more easy way to
>     interactively change the variable's value in Emacs?
>
> Do you find it more convenient in practice to use this
> rather than eval a setq?

Yes, `set-variable' is a very convenient method of changing the
variable's value interactively.

> If so, can you explain why it is more convenient for you?

It is convenient for several reasons:

1. picks up the default variable name from the buffer;
2. provides completion for the variable name;
3. provides the old variable's value as default for editing in the
   minibuffer (by typing M-n);

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/