RE: isearch multiple buffers

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: isearch multiple buffers
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:19:59 -0700

> > Selecting the buffers to be searched is not a problem.  I think the
> > *Buffer List* is a good interface to select them.  The question is
> > how to start multi-buffer isearch.  Imagine that you've marked a list
> > of buffers in the *Buffer List*.  How to start multi-buffer isearch now?
> > Should C-s start multi-buffer isearch in marked files, or should C-s
> > still allow searching for the string in the *Buffer List* (this
> > is useful for searching buffer names in the *Buffer List*).
>
> I believe most users would be surprised if C-s started multi-buffer
> isearch for the marked files.

Until they learn about it. It's not exactly dangerous, but it could be
surprising the first time, if you haven't heard about it first.

> But it is still a good "mnemonic". Maybe
> ask the user if he/she wants to search the marked files?

I'm against that.

Asking the user for confirmation should be a last resort, reserved for
something that makes changes or has drastic consequences. It should not be
used just because we introduce a new feature that might surprise a user who
is not yet aware of it. If we did that each time, we would by now have
confirmation questions all over the place.