Re: Is there a plan to record kbd macro as elisp code?

From: yzhh
Subject: Re: Is there a plan to record kbd macro as elisp code?
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:13:26 +0000 (UTC)

Richard Stallman <rms <at> gnu.org> writes:

> We expect this conversion to use the keymaps that Emacs has when you
> do the conversion.  That is a feature, not a bug.

I can give an example that reveals another complication of the "translate using
keymaps" approach. The following:

M-x                     ;; execute-extended-command
repla                   ;; self-insert-command * 5
2*TAB                   ;; lisp-indent-line
str                     ;; self-insert-command * 3
TAB                     ;; lisp-indent-line
RET                     ;; newline
is                      ;; self-insert-command * 2
RET                     ;; newline
IS                      ;; self-insert-command * 2
RET                     ;; newline

is a kbd macro I recorded for M-x replace-string is -> IS. The complication is
with the TAB completion - it would require total knowledge about TAB completion
to reconstruct the command name - what edit-kbd-macro doesn't do.