Re: 23.0.50; [emacsclient] *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on

From: Luca Capello
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; [emacsclient] *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on window system x
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 00:44:06 +0100

Hello again!

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 23:43:02 +0100, Luca Capello wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 02:02:21 +0200, Michael Mauger wrote:
>> Luca Capello wrote:
>>> I get the output in the subject whenever I tried to use emacsclient
>>> with something very simple like (the same trying to editing a file):
>>>
>>>   $ emacsclient -e 'user-full-name'
> [...]
>> I was running into the same problem on w32.  It's due to the
>> multi-tty merge.  The problem is that DISPLAY is set.  I have an X
>> server running under w32, but obviously, my w32 Emacs doesn't
>> support X, so the error was unexpected.
> [...]
>> This is something that ought to be fixed.  We need better heuristics
>> about what type of frame the user wants and can support.
>
> FWIW, with the latest unofficial Debian emacs-snasshot_1:20071027-1
> that problem is gone.

It seems I should have tested a bit more before reporting.  Actually,
the problem is still there and indeed having an empty DISPLAY solves
it.  FWIW, because of other tests I was in a sreen session started on
a console, thus DISPLAY was empty.

However, I found an unrelated bug for -c and -t.

First, my setup: I use exclusively `emacs -nw` with different frames
for every applications, i.e. "Gnus", "IRC", "W3M" and so on.

Every time I edit a file through emacsclient, either with -c or -t,
two new frames are opened: one (let's call it foo) shows the buffer
associated with the file, the other one (frame bar) the *scratch*
buffer.  As soon as I finish editing and exit with C-x #, frames foo
and bar are closed, as well as one of the other frame already opened
on my emacs session :-(

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca