Re: region-active-p

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: region-active-p
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 20:11:20 -0400

I just double-checked.  What we want for Emacs is closer to your
`region-active-p'.  We want it to test for Transient Mark mode with
the mark active.

     > I propose to add an optional argument NONEMPTY to region-active-p
     > which means "return nil if the region is empty".  How about it?

    No, thank you.  That makes the name inaccurate in XEmacs usage, is not
    backwardly compatible

I don't know how to understand "backwardly compatible".  I designed
this to make it an upward compatible change for you.  Does "backwardly
compatible" mean something else?