Re: toggle-read-only / vc stupidity

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: toggle-read-only / vc stupidity
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 23:31:11 -0400

> toggle-read-only sometimes gives a message like:
>    File is under version-control; use C-x v v to check in/out

IIRC This should only happen when a file under VC is read-only and you make
the buffer read-write with C-x C-q.  The warning is present to remind people
that C-x C-q doesn't do vc-toggle-read-only any more.

> 1) Such a message may make sense with RCS, but it's just confusing
>    with any modern source-control system (even CVS!).  [I'm using arch]

Actually I think it makes sense (or not) for any backend since it's just
linked to the change from vc-toggle-read-only to vc-toggle-read-only.

> 2) I only seem to get the message for files that _aren't_ under
>    version-control (but are in a version-controlled directory)!

That's a bug.

        Stefan