Re: window-system and batch mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: window-system and batch mode
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:56:41 -0400

> Recently Emacs sets `window-system' to t in the batch mode:

Yes, when I changed window-system to be terminal-local I had to decide
what value to give to it for the initial "terminal" (which is basically
just stdin/stdout rather than an X11 or tty connection).  I decided to
use t (rather than nil which means "tty") to see what happens and
hopefully catch some bugs.  And indeed it helped me get the
"terminal-local window-system" patch working.

> Shouldn't it be nil?

Yes, we can easily change it back to nil.  I think code which relies on
this is broken, but I don't feel strongly about it.

> If not, what is the right way that a Lisp
> program knows that it runs in the batch mode?  Is it `noninteractive',
> `(display-graphic-p)' or possibly `initial-window-system'?

If we ever get the "frameless" emacs-server working, it will most likely
be using such a terminal, now whether that's interactive or not... the
limit will be a bit more blurry by then.

        Stefan