Re: define-abbrev

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: define-abbrev
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:25:34 -0400

>> I'm pretty sure I know where the error is signalled and how to fix this
>> symptom, but depending on the cause the real fix might be conmpletely
>> different, and the cause is elsewhere (the problem seems to be that
>> you're somehow using an abbrev-table that was not created by
>> make-abbrev-table).

> My Englisch-Mode? I'll remember your remark
> should I ran into trouble at this point again, thanks.

When you get a backtrace (in define-abbrev), please try things like:

   e (abbrev-table-p table) RET

and if it says nil, try

   e (list-abbrevs t) RET

to try and figure out which abbrev table this is.

> Maybe it's worthwhile to speak about. IMO behaviour as
> described by the manual is a misfeature:

Obviously, someone went through the trouble to code the feature, so
there's no point arguing to remove it just by saying it's
a "misfeature".  Try to come up with a good way for the user to choose
the behavior she likes instead.

        Stefan