Re: should fset 'symbol get an undefined function warning?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: should fset 'symbol get an undefined function warning?
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:59:09 -0400

> AFAIK, `fset' is not deprecated or obsolete (and the Elisp manual is full of
> `fset').

> `defalias' might be better to use in this context, but it should still be
> good to not issue that warning for `fset'. (I'm not saying anyone has
> disagreed with that.)

I disagree: `fset' is meant to *change* the function-slot
of a symbol, not to initialize it.  So it's use shouldn't be treated by
the byte-compiler as a declaration.  Insted, the byute-compiler should
complain about the use of `fset' on an unknown function similarly to the
use of `set(q)' on an unknown variable.

        Stefan