Re: blank-mode.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: blank-mode.el
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:11:34 +0200

>> I like this package too, and I have some suggestions: since it implements
>> a minor mode I suggest defining it with `define-minor-mode', and name the
>> global mode `global-blank-mode'.
>
> Well, I'll try to use define-minor-mode in the next blank-mode version.
>
> Is there some convention (or consensus) about global mode name?

I can't find such conventions in (info "(elisp)Major Mode Conventions")
and (info "(elisp)Minor Mode Conventions").

>> Also I have a question how it interacts with nobreak-char-display.
>> Does your package overwrite highlighting of nobreak space displayed
>> by nobreak-char-display feature, or ignores it?
>
> I've made some tests and both blank-mode faces and display table are
> displayed when blank-mode is on and nobreak-char-display is t.
>
> When blank-mode is turned off and nobreak-char-display is t, the
> nobreak-char-display faces and display table are displayed.
>
> That is, blank-mode have precedence over nobreak-char-display but only
> over hard spaces (or nobreak spaces), the soft hyphens is handled only by
> nobreak-char-display.

I think this is the right behavior: when blank-mode is on, it should take
care of highlighting these special characters over the default mechanism
of nobreak-char-display.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/