Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 05:46:36 +0000

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

>> "Up is more" is a common analogy.  Using it here could be a good idea
>> for simplicity's sake.  The most common case of changing window
>> sizes is with two windows.  So it is very convenient to be able
>> to specify "more" or "less" without saying which boundary.
>
> Hmm, I'd think + and - would be the most natural here... ?

If we resize the window along two directions (horizontal vs. vertical)
then <up>/<down> or +/- (or whatever) is okay, because we just need a
way to increment/decrement the window size.

If we resize the window along *four* directions (corresponding to the
four window borders) then arrow keys should better keep their natural
meaning.  In this case, <up> should enlarge the window vertically by
pushing up its upper border, etc.

IMHO the primary question is not what bindings `window-resize' should
use, but whether it should be bi-directional or four-directional.

I think it should be four-directional, because it'd handle both
bi-directional cases and more complex stuff.  After all, we want
`window-resize' to do more than replacing C-x } C-x z z z z z ...

--
Bastien, going to Zzzz...