Re: unicode-2, Emacs.app terminal mode after multi-tty merge

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: unicode-2, Emacs.app terminal mode after multi-tty merge
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 17:24:18 +0300

On 11/5/07, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Another question -- is there any way to ask the new emacsclient to
> > open a frame in the default windowing terminal?
>
> That's what supposedly happens if you pass no option, if not, report it
> as a bug.

This happens if you started up a normal GUI session, but if you
started emacs with -nw, how do you ask it to put up a GUI frame?  Like
I said the --display option seems to be usable only for X.  It
requires something like ":0", etc... maybe the "dummy values" for
Win32 and Carbon follow this format?  But in any case a simple -gui
option to do the right thing by default would be nice.  (I guess I'm
just suggesting work for myself and W32/Carbon folks here..)

> > Finally, is basic use of multi-tty from inside emacs documented
> > anywhere?
>
> There's make-frame-on-tty.
>
> > I read about some functions in the NEWS but could not find out how to
> > get a list of the available terminal names to use for 'tty' arguments,
>
> AFAIK there's no generic way to get such a list, indeed.  But any tty
> in /dev to which we have write access should do.
> It's kind of like X displays: you can't get a list of available
> displays, but you can use any display to which you have access.

What I was after was something that lists all the terminal types (tty,
Carbon, X, etc.) that are loaded into the running instance of emacs.
But even this should not be needed for most basic use.  User needing
to specify a precise display makes sense only under X, and even in
that case only if the value of the DISPLAY environment variable is not
what is desired.  So, e.g., a make-frame-on-default-graphical-display
function, or simply (make-frame-on-display nil) does the right thing.

(I'm thinking of the use case, user starts emacs -nw in a terminal
window, or from an ssh'd session to a remote X client, then wants a
bit more room for maneuvering.)