Re: isearch for doc-view.el

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: isearch for doc-view.el
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 09:25:06 +0100

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Juri,

> If highlighting of the matches on the rendered images is impossible,
> what do you think about the following approach: display the plain text
> of the current page below its rendered image (just where you currently
> display the page information like "Page 1 of 1"), and let isearch to
> operate on this text with all its standard features: highlighting of
> all matches, etc.
>
> Isearch on the plain text will provide enough cues to visually locate
> the place of the found string on the rendered image.

There are several problems with it:

  1. The image scrolling commands only scroll on images, so you couldn't
     scroll down to the text with <down> or C-n.

     The "Page 1 of 200" text isn't there anymore due to this.  Now it's
     in the mode-line.  (Thanks to Stefan)

  2. My main problem with the search approach was that the real isearch
     happens in another buffer in the background and the doc-view buffer
     has to be updated accordingly by switching to the right page.  With
     your approach that would be even harder.  Here, you would have to
     do the same plus copying the page with the current match from the
     text representation's buffer to the doc-view buffer plus an
     additional isearch in the doc-view buffer to highlight the match.

     Or do you mean that doc-view should display all images of a
     document at once, like:  page1.png
                              page1 text
                              page2.png
                              page2 text...