Re: SASL related files in gnus/

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: SASL related files in gnus/
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 21:48:23 -0500

    > Could this feature work with Rmail or Mail mode?  Could these files
    > work with Rmail mode or Mail mode?

            I see no fundamental obstacles to use there either. SASL is used
     to communicate to the SMTP and IMAP servers to authenticate the user,
     so one should be able to graft it on to any news/mail user agent in
     emacs.

Thanks for the explanation.

Are the current gnus/sasl*.el files written specifically for Gnus,
or would they be good for anything in Emacs that wants to use SASL?