Re: [Patch] Make tls.el support certificate verification

From: Elias Oltmanns
Subject: Re: [Patch] Make tls.el support certificate verification
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:22:52 +0100

Hi Reiner,

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 08 2007, Elias Oltmanns wrote:
>
>> Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Let's wait for copyright papers and then apply the patch in both
>>> CVS's.
>>
>> Papers have been signed and receipt has been acknowledged.  Please
>> apply.
>
> Thanks.
>
>> Could someone please look at [1] and [2] as well?  These patches are bug
>> fixes and recent bug reports wrt agentised servers (see [3]) seem to be
>> related.
>
> Could you please provide ChangeLog entries for these patches?

Well, I sent ChangeLog entries a week ago (see [1] and [2]) but nothing
has shown up in cvs yet.  The same applies to my tls.el patch although
I'm probably to be blamed for that since I haven't provided a ChangeLog
entry for that one yet.  So, here it goes:

* tls.el: Check certificates against trusted root certificates.  Also,
provide an option to check if GNU TLS complained about a mismatch
between the hostname provided in the certificate and the name of the
host connnecting to.  New (customizable) variables are: tls-checktrust,
tls-untrusted, tls-hostmismatch.

BTW: It has happened several times in the past that messages I sent to
the ding list went (seemingly) unnoticed.  This is particularly annoying
if the message actually contains a ready made patch to fix a bug and all
I'm asking for is to review the patch and tell me what's wrong with it
so it can be committed eventually.  Curiously enough, the message I
finally got a response to (the one that started this thread) was about
adding a new feature rather than fixing a bug in existing code.  It also
strikes me that this message went to both, the ding list as well as
emacs-devel.  This makes me wonder whether I should generally send
patches to the emacs-devel list rather than the ding list even if they
concern the gnus trunk.  Or should I just Cc one of the Gnus developers
instead?  In that case, is there a source where I can see who is
maintaining which part of Gnus?

Regards,

Elias

[1] <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/65609>