Re: address@hidden: Re: find-grep makes raw terminal ANSI]

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: find-grep makes raw terminal ANSI]
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 14:05:33 +0200

>> !     (setenv "TERM" "emacs")
>> !     (setenv "GREP_OPTIONS" (concat (getenv "GREP_OPTIONS") "
>> --color=auto"))
>
> Looks about right, except that I believe `emacs' is too vague.
> I'd use something like "emacs-grep".

I'm OK with any name except "dumb", but as Andreas noted, "emacs" is
a traditional name to inform the subprocess that it is called by Emacs.

> We could then even make up a terminfo file for it that describes its
> (very limited) capabilities.

For grep there is no need to make up a terminfo entry because grep
doesn't detect terminfo capabilities.  From comments in grep source code:

      It would be impractical for GNU grep to become a full-fledged
      terminal program linked against ncurses or the like, so it will
      not detect terminfo(5) capabilities.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/