Re: patch: write-file to arbitrary target directory

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: patch: write-file to arbitrary target directory
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 08:01:24 -0500

    > The change looks useful, but there may be a problem.
    >
    >     !        (let ((dir  (file-name-directory (buffer-name)))
    >     !              (file (file-name-nondirectory (buffer-name))))
    >
    > DIR will nearly always be nil, because buffer names normally
    > do not include directory parts.

    Not necessarily. With 'ido' package user can create buffers with
    arbitrary names.

Of course one can do so.  My point is that the normal practice is not
to put the directory name in the buffer name.  Does this change have
any effect on that usual case?

    And if DIR is nil, read-file-name use 'default-directory' anyway.
    (If i am not mistaken.)

Please double-check.

If it works right for that reason, there should be a comment to
explain.