Re: <filename> changed on disk; really edit the buffer?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: <filename> changed on disk; really edit the buffer?
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:47:06 +0100

>     Also occurred to me that a possible use for auto-saving into the
>     current file is when you don't have enough permissions in the
>     current directory to create a new file.
>
> I think it would be better to put the auto save file in a different
> directory.  In fact, perhaps we should change make-auto-save-file-name
> to do this automatically.

`make-auto-save-file-name' already tries to substitute the
default-directory in

                    (expand-file-name
                     (format "#%s#" buffer-name)
                     ;; Try a few alternative directories, to get one we can
                     ;; write it.
                     (cond
                      ((file-writable-p default-directory) default-directory)
                      ((file-writable-p "/var/tmp/") "/var/tmp/")

What else should it do?