Re: url-dired.el requires w3

From: Diane Murray
Subject: Re: url-dired.el requires w3
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 02:32:03 +0100

> What happens with your change if the user has installed w3 but it is
> not loaded into Emacs?

I don't quite understand what you're asking here.  My change removes
all w3 dependency.

> Would it be correct to use browse-url rather than w3?
> browse-url is always included in Emacs.

Since url-dired is used for ftp and file URLs only, and ange-ftp and
tramp take care of such remote directories and files, I think it's
unnecessary to hand things off to a web browser via browse-url.  In
fact, the directories are under ange-ftp or tramp's control already -
`url-find-file-dired' uses `find-file' to open the directory, and only
`RET' and `mouse-2' are redefined in `url-dired-minor-mode'.

Diane Murray