Re: remember(-diary).el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: remember(-diary).el
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 10:56:34 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Leo <address@hidden>
>> Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 22:22:43 +0000
>>
>> Maybe many third world people still use win 9x; but I just did a
>> survey and +90% don't intend to use any GNU software and and among
>> the rest, 7% do not want to upgrade their software.
>
> But we _do_ want to convince them to use GNU software, don't we?

And the point of free software is that you are _free_ to use it, not
that you _have_ to use it.  At any given point of time, for the "normal
citizen" restrictive government regulations are not relevant.  But that
is a consolation only as long as you are not affected.

And GNU/Linux with its much more modest system requirements offers a
migration path (a path you can start with Emacs) to uptodate software
for older hardware, the kind of hardware people in the third world use.

Incidentally, if 10% intend to use GNU software, I would guess that is
at least double the percentage of people in the first and second world.
Even if the amount would have been more like 0.5%, for the sake of those
it would have been worth it.  10% already is a mass phenomenon, if you
ask me...