Re: desktop.el: autosave?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: desktop.el: autosave?
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 18:41:10 -0500

    But maybe instead of requiring putting this code in .emacs for
    every user who want to save the desktop periodically, we should
    add a new user option to desktop.el that specifies time interval
    of auto-saving?

I agree, we should add some such feature.

                     I think the default value of `auto-save-timeout'
    is too frequent for a heavy function `desktop-save'.

Maybe so, but auto-saving based on idle time is an important feature.
Whatever we write for automatically saving the desktop should also
include a feature to do it after a certain amount of idle time,
perhaps 5 mins by default.  That way, if you occasionally take typing
breaks, Emacs will never interrupt your actual work to save the desktop.