Re: saveplace: don't ask for coding system

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: saveplace: don't ask for coding system
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 21:05:39 +0100

On Dec 5, 2007 7:25 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Because it wasn't reported by anyone until now, and the current
> encoding was in savehist from day one.  So IMO this change is not safe
> enough and the problem it tries to solve is not important enough to
> risk the stability of Emacs 22 branch.

Color me puzzled.

- The problem has one reporter (me), but so do many other bugs we've
been fixing.
- The fix is quite simple: changing utf-8 (which is already used by
savehist) to utf-8-unix.
- The fix affects a file which is only used by Emacs, and in fact,
only by the package that creates it.

How could that not be "safe enough"?

As for "not important", I agree, and moreover, there's an easy
workaround (setting savehist-coding-system in your .emacs); so I'm not
pushing for fixing in in EMACS_22_BASE. But I honestly don't
understand the reticence.

Juanma