Re: saveplace: don't ask for coding system

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: saveplace: don't ask for coding system
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 13:38:11 +0100

On Dec 6, 2007 5:21 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> You didn't actually encounter the bug, you deliberately created this
> example to verify that your (correct) theory about problems with
> leaving the EOL conversion unspecified.

Sorry, but that's not true. Excuse my self-quoting:

"For example, I did some "^M^J" -> "^J"
replacements (to fix a garbled patch) on Windows, and in subsequent
invocations of Emacs the contents of query-replace-history got sillier
and sillier: "^M^M^J", "^M^M^M^M^J", etc."

What happened was that I had a patch with garbled EOL sequences. I did
some replacement and applied the patch (from inside Emacs). Next time
I tried to do the same I was puzzled to see ^M^M^J in the replacement
string. Truth be told, it wasn't even the first time it happened to
me, just the first time I took the time to investigate it. I suppose I
have some suboptimal diff/patch tools which make the problem more
likely.

> It's okay to disagree; there's no need to dig deeper trying to
> understand differences of judgment.

I trust your judgement on Emacs issues; I was interested in knowing
what was I missing.

             Juanma