Re: always put Customizations in `custom-file', never in `user-init-file

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: always put Customizations in `custom-file', never in `user-init-file'
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:04:56 +0900

Lennart Borgman (gmail) writes:

 > Ah, now I think I remember. A good way to handle the load sequence could be:
 >    1) load .emacs
 >    2) if .emacs did not load custom-file then do that
 >       immediately after .emacs.
 > That solves the problem with the loading sequence with very little
 > trouble (I believe). Those users which want to use the values from
 > custom-set-variables in their .emacs will have to learn to insert
 >    (load custom-file)
 > in their .emacs but I would expect that to be easy for those users.
 > But, Stephen, maybe you see some problem with this?

There was some objection from users who wanted custom-file loaded
before user-init-file, but I don't remember anything concrete.  I
think the problem was mainly esthetic: custom-file is managed behind
the scenes by XEmacs, and it should stay there unless there's strong

Emacs's esthetics are different though, and that approach certainly