view-mode exit hook?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: view-mode exit hook?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:03:23 -0800

What is the recommended way to run some code when view-mode exits? For
entering view-mode, `view-mode-hook' can be used (it is run by
`view-mode-enable'), but I don't see anything equivalent for exiting. Are
users supposed to advise view-mode code (e.g. `view-mode-exit'), or is there
a better, recommended course of action?

My use case: When view-mode is entered, my own code fits the frame (assuming
it's one-window-p) to the viewed buffer. My tweaked version of
`display-buffer' takes care of that. But when view-mode is exited, the frame
is not re-fit to the buffer that is now displayed there. I'm looking for a
way to call my function `fit-frame', preferably via a hook run after
view-mode has exited and the other buffer is displayed in the frame, that
is, at the very end of `view-mode-exit'.

Even better, perhaps, would be for view-mode to restore the frame config
after it exits. That way, the frame would return to its prior state for the
buffer that was shown there previously. That is preferable for two reasons:
(1) no need to explicitly re-fit the buffer and (2) if the user had manually
resized the frame for the prior buffer, returning to that buffer would not
override the user's frame size preference by fitting it.