Re: view-mode exit hook?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: view-mode exit hook?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 07:39:11 +0100

I wasn't suggesting to use `view-mode-hook'. As I noted, that is run only
upon entering the mode. I don't know whether view-mode manages to keep track
of window configs - I thought it did, but that's beside the point here. What
would be needed in this case would be restoring the frame config, not a
window config. _If_ that were feasible.

If you want to restore the frame configuration you have to save it first.
Where do you want to do that?  All I said was that `view-mode-hook' might
be the wrong place.

If the frame cannot be restored, I'm happy to deal with this by fitting the
frame again upon view-mode exit, even though that is less desirable for a
user than putting back the frame parameters s?he had before view-mode.

I don't want to go near `view-exit-action', if I can avoid it. That code is
far too complicated for a mortal such as I. I did think that I could
recuperate the current value of `view-exit-action' and then tack my function
call onto it, but that seems quite ugly. I'd sooner advise `view-mode-exit',
I think (and I don't like to use advice either).

I was looking for a simple and clean way to go, such as a hook.

Does it make sense for Emacs to have a `view-mode-exit-hook'?

You can always think of `view-exit-action' as doing that.  For example,
there's no harm setting `view-exit-action' to a function that restores
a frame configuration saved earlier.  The question remains _which_ frame
configuration you want to restore.