Changing the codes used in the C-x v d display

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Changing the codes used in the C-x v d display
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 05:31:05 -0500 (EST)

Dan wrote:
>BTW, for consistency with PCL-CVS and with the vc-dired display for
>other states shouldn't "(Unknown)" be better than just "?" ?

I went with "?" partly because I'm thinking that it might be a good idea
to change the convention used for the status codes.  Specifically I think
we ought to look at following Subversion's practice, the way later
VCSes have tended to.  Look at this:

VC status        Subversion  Mercurial    Bazaar
---------------  ----------  ----------   ---------
up-to-date       (space)     [2]          (space)
edited           M           M            M
USER             USER[1]     [3]          [3]
needs-patch      *           [3]          [3]
needs-merge      C           [3]          [3]
unlocked-changes K,B         [3]          [3]
added            A           A            A
ignored          I           I            I
unregistered     ?           ?            ?

The bzr documentation says explicitly that its bzr status --short codes
are like Subversion's.  I got the Mercurial ones by looking at the
output of "hg help status".

[1] Only in -v mode

I added "unregistered" and "ignored" because it looks like we're going to
have to add these states to ouur repertoire to further speed up dir-state.

[2] hg status does not list unmodified files

[3] No such status in this system, it has a commit-before-merge model.

The M, I, A and ? codes are consistent across all three of these systems and
I'm thinking (a) that's by design, (b) it's a good idea, and (c) we
should probably emulate it.

When I originally wrote VC there were no standards for these flags, so
inventing our own was necessary.  But now that there is a de-facto standard
a VC-Dired display that follows it makes one less detail for VC users to
have to learn.

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes
without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an
offense to keep arms."
        -- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840