Re: VC-Dired now lists unregistered files, marked with "?"...

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: VC-Dired now lists unregistered files, marked with "?"...
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 11:36:09 -0800

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>:
  > > IMHO they should. The unregistered files are always "interesting" for a
  > > user because he might want to register them. The non-terse mode shows
  > > too many files...
  >
  > On the other hand...I'm working on a survey paper on VCSes right now,
  > The directory includes a small handful of registered files, and several
  > subdirectories that are VCS source trees I'm keeping around for reference.
  > Displaying all of the several thousand unregistered files in those trees
  > in terse mode just swamps the real information (I tried it that way).

I would think that the above situation is rather unusual, so basing the
default on that is not the best choice.

IMO users would put files that the VCS should not deal with in
.BLAHignore otherwise using the output VC commands from the command line
is too noisy. So the number of "unknown" files should be rather small.