Re: [Fwd: Frame Height Different for Default Frame and Additional Frames

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Frame Height Different for Default Frame and Additional Frames]
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:06:46 +0100

> Perhaps I have misunderstood the nature of the problem.  I thought the
> problem was that the height in default-frame-alist was being ignored
> entirely for the first frame, from these words:
>
>      >     Yes they do.  It looks like default-frame-alist is ignored for the
first frame.

> My experience is that it is not ignored.
>
> You're now talking about a completely different problem:

Your experience and mine are identic but the problem goes as follows:
The OP observed that the height of the initial (first) frame differs
from that of additional frames.  We found out that their heights differ
by the height of the toolbar, that is, additional frames are by the
height of the toolbar higher than the initial (first) frame.  So if you
say that the initial frame is good, the bug must be with the additional
frames and _not_ with the initial one.  Hence we've been discussing the
problem with different premises.

>     Commenting out the following stretch from frame.c fixes the bug for me.
>
>        /* This used to be done _before_ calling x_figure_window_size, but
>      since the height is reset here, this was really a no-op.  I
>      assume that moving it here does what Gerd intended (although he
>      no longer can remember what that was...  ++KFS, 2003-03-25.  */
>
> I think that change causes another bug.  The height in lines of an
> Emacs frame is not supposed to include the tool bar.  If you create a
> frame and specify 40 lines, you should get 40 lines of text, plus a
> tool bar.

As Jan said this code is executed exclusively with the native toolbar,
hence we would have to judge whether not executing that code DTRT for
toolkit scrollbars.  With the native toolbar, this code is not executed
for the initial frame (at least not here), hence we would have to judge
whether not executing that code for the initial frame does TRT.  Here,
this code gets executed only for additional frames and iff I have
toolbars enabled.

>     The size of the initial frame seems correct because initial frames get
>     the same height regardless of whether they have a tool-bar or not (if
>     they didn't we'd probably have another bug).
>
> Could you explain that precisely?  Perhaps that special feature for -g
> and the initial frame needs to be implemented in a different place.

Please recall that I didn't use -g to produce the bug, just a
single-line .emacs containing

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(height . 37))

What I wanted to express above is that my initial Emacs frame has the
same height regardless of whether I have toolbars enabled or not.  Also,
the heights of my frames never change when I switch toolbars on and off.