Re: patch to fill `Parent documentation...' in Customize, plus two relat

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: patch to fill `Parent documentation...' in Customize, plus two related suggestions
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:36:24 -0500

    The attached patch fills the line "Parent documentation: ...". It indents
    all filled lines except the first by two chars, so the result is like this:

Thanks.  I will install that.

    2. I don't see why the lists of links `Parent groups:' and `Parent
    documentation:' are called that. It seems to me they should be called simply
    `Groups:' and `Documentation:'.

When you are looking at a group, those links are to the parents of the
current group.  In that case, the name "Parent Groups" is accurate.
But in other cases the name is not accurate.  I think "Groups" would
be better in other cases.  Would you like to write a patch
to make it conditional?

I do not see Parent Documentation.
Can you tell me a test case to observe that?

    And when you are visiting a Customize buffer for a group, you don't even see
    these labels! Instead, you see `Go to parent group:' and, for the doc links,
    `See also '. So, in the only place where "parent" might reasonably be used,
    it is not used anyway.

That doesn't agree with what I observe.  I did M-x customize-group RET
mouse RET, and did see the "Parent groups" item.

Please provide a test case.

    In addition, just as commas are used to separate the doc links, so should
    they be used to separate the group links. Currently, only spaces separate
    the group links.

I think it looks good the way it is.  Each parent group name is in
square brackets.  That's plenty of punctuation to make it clear.