Re: Commit practices

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Commit practices
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 01:44:02 -0500

Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:
> In effect, the suggestion here is that we abandon the idea
> of useful readable info associated by the VCS with each file.

Right.  Information about changes is most useful when it has *changeset*
granularity, not file granularity.

> That would mean that the ChangeLog file is the only place
> for such info.

No, it means that the information now in the Changelog belongs in the
CVS history, but with per-commit granularity rather than per-file granularity.

> I won't say "absolutely not".

Good.  I'm preparing a post with a major proposal about this.