Re: Commit practices

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Commit practices
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 22:25:19 -0500

Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:
> That's not the same thing.  "Commits touching foo.c" is NOT the same
> as just the items pertaining to foo.c.  If those commits are
> multi-file commits, they will be full of items about other files as
> well as items about foo.c.
>
> So I think the Change Log mode feature is still desirable.

I was assuming that we would retain the Changelog item format keying on
files and functions.

In that case, extracting items pertaining to foo.c from log output
would be no more difficult than extracting them from a separate
Changelog.  Less so, actually -- the pre-filtering for commits
touching foo.c would throw out a lot of chaff.