Re: Looking for a new Emacs maintainer or team

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Looking for a new Emacs maintainer or team
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:22:53 -0800

  >       > Once Emacs 22 is released, I would like to hand over Emacs
maintenance
  >       > to one person or a small team.  The new maintainer or maintainers
  >       > would take responsibility for making sure new releases are made and
  >       > that they are reliable, and for focusing attention on priority
  >       > projects for improvement.
  >
  >     Is this still the plan?  Last time this was discussed on the list many
  >     very capable volunteers were found.
  >
  > A few people volunteered, and they could be useful members of a team,
  > but (as I recall) they didn't include the most knowledgeable people.

OK, if this is the cause of the blockage, then let's work on what your
criteria would be for choosing the maintainer(s).

One proposal was to have a committee with 3 people:

- a "technical lead" which is responsible for the "quality" of the
  major modifications to the software (i.e. C and Lisp code).

- a "release manager" which is responsible for the release, including
  documentation, copyright stuff, packaging, etc  (basically anything
  else)

- a "chairman" (the third person) who has the "final word" on any
  disputes in the committee, based on an overall understanding of
  Emacs "policies, history and visions" (whatever they are)...

And there were volunteers for these positions: Kenichi Handa, Chong
Yidong and Stefan Monnier.

If you'd like more people on the committee, why not just nominate them
and maybe they will accept?