Re: "CHANGED outside Customize" in frames customization group

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: "CHANGED outside Customize" in frames customization group
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 22:18:54 -0500

    Do I understand you correctly that `frame-notice-user-settings' and
    `modify-all-frames-parameters' should set the `command-args-...' values
    (one for the initial and one for the default frame)?

Yes, that's what I've proposed.  Do you see any flaws in the idea?

      This would require
    a non-trivial reorganization of frame.el.

I think it should be pretty simple.  Only 4 functions in frame.el
seem to refer to default-frame-alist or initial-frame-alist.
So I think that not much change would be needed.

    Note that I was not looking into the command-line arguments and X
    resources issues yet.

Yes, but I think this same approach would work for x-win.el
and would be simple there too.

     >     Customizing `fringe-mode' calls `modify-all-frames-parameters' which
     >     sets `default-frame-alist'.  I'm now told that `default-frame-alist'
was
     >     CHANGED outside Customize although all I actually did was
_customizing_
     >     some option.
     >
     > The solution to that is just to inform Custom about the change, so it
     > will realize that the change to `default-frame-alist' was made within
     > Custom.
     >
     > It's just a bug, it just needs to be fixed.

    I wouldn't know how.  If I simply set `default-frame-alist' in some
    "Custom" way I'll be told that there are unsaved changes.

It looks like `customize-set-variable' does the right job.

So I think this won't be very hard.  Want to give it a try?