Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 47, Issue 14

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 47, Issue 14
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 11:06:41 -0500

David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> "Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I second this recommendation.  I am not yet sure Mercurial is the
> > overall best-of-breed, but it is the most accessible of the big three
> > (git, bzr, hg) and seems to have the best UI design.
>
> Before making a decision, one should try the candidates on the Emacs
> repository data which will constitute our real workload.

Agreed.  In fact, you may have solved a problem for me by pointing
this out -- I've been casting around for a large real-world codebase to
do comparative benchmarks against, and Emacs might do nicely.

> The Emacs history is very unusual in size and structure.

It's larger than most, certainly.  What do you mean by unusual
in "structure"?

> Actually, this needs to be checked under different operating systems
> (and their file systems) too.  At least with git, the profiling and
> tuning of the operations happens mostly on GNU/Linux and this shows.

Yes, performance on other systems is reputed to be poor.