Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 11:48:59 -0800

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:
> Please do not focus too much on git. AFAIK it is not the most easy to
> use decentralized VCS and its support for non-*nix systems is weak.
>
> I'll suggest you use Mercurial for learning what a decentralized VCS can
> do. The basic idea is the same for all dVCS's. Of course the interface
> and implementation trade-offs varies among them.
>
> [...]

I'd been staying out of this thread, mostly because it's going in a
direction I like anyway :-).  But I too would love to see Emacs switch
to a dVCS like Mercurial or git.

The dVCS model would fit Emacs development very well, and it would be
especially good for Richard, once he learns the new ropes, because of
the tremendous offline capability.  (Disclaimer: I'm a Subversion
developer, and like Subversion, but it's not the best hammer for every
nail.)

Regarding storage issues:

David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> But I doubt all of them manage to squeeze all of Emacs' CVS history
> (actually, more than that, since the Emacs' git repository also contains
> the non-CVS multi-tty history AFAIK) into 200MB.

Maybe not 200MB, but still probably less than 400MB; possibly far
less.  dVCS repositories are surprisingly small for all that history
("surprising" to those who aren't used to how they do their storage,
anyway).

I tried to do a test conversion of the Emacs CVS repository, but don't
see a way to get a full repository tarball from Savannah.  If someone
can hand me one, I'll do a test conversion and report back.

-Karl