Re: rfn-eshadow

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: rfn-eshadow
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 21:51:37 -0500

> ffap.el mentions FSF as a maintainer, but actually this bug has nothing
> to do with ffap.

On the contrary it has everything to do with ffap.

> The problem is that even if ffap is disabled, when typing an URL in the
> minibuffer, rfn-eshadow.el threats it as a file name, and puts a shadow
> over the `http:' part because it contains double slashes //.

No, it is perfectly right for rfn-eshadow to treat it as a file name,
since that's what rfn-eshadow is all about: to improve file-name entry.
If you want your user to enter something else than a file-name, then
don't set minibuffer-completing-file-name.

> I think the right way to fix this problem is the following patch that
> prevents handling of URLs by file-name-shadow-mode:

No, the right way is for ffap to either not set
minibuffer-completing-file-name (which probably requires more
changes in order to recover the desired completion behavior) or to
explain to rfn-eshadow what kind of file-names are accepted via
a file-name-handler (which can be added only temporarily).

For the record, URL entry works just fine with rfn-eshadow if you enable
url-handler-mode.

        Stefan