Re: [Fwd: Frame Height Different for Default Frame and Additional Frames

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Frame Height Different for Default Frame and Additional Frames]
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 18:33:34 +0100

martin rudalics skrev:
>>>Apparently for Gtk+ users the height changes but the number of visible
>>>lines remains the same when toggling `tool-bar-mode'.  For native
>>>toolbar users the height remains the same and the number of visible
>>>lines changes.  I reported this only to explain the behavior of Emacs
>>>with native toolbars as seen here.
>>

>> Yes this is one of many symptoms of bugs in the Emacs-Gtk+ resize
> code.  Is is
>> mainly due to my misunderstanding of both Gtk+ resize handling and Emacs
>> resize handling.  This time two wrongs did not make one right :-).
>
> Did we already settle on a "right" way to do this?  Robert expressed the
> desire to keep the number of text lines invariant.  ISTR others wanted
> the size of the frame on the screen stay invariant.  At least a similar
> issue was recently brought up for menubars.  Finally, I'm interested how
> changes of menu-bar-lines/tool-bar-lines are supposed to be applied and
> handled - I'm quite lost in this context.

I don't think we did.  But frame size can't in general stay constant as we
have wm hints.  For example, I have 13 pixels of text height.  That gives min
resize 13.  The tool bar is 36 pixels.  So when the tool bar goes, either we
increase text size by 3 (== 39, 3 additional pixels) or by 2 (26, decrease by
10 pixels).

I'll implement whatever seems easiest, and then people can suggest
alternatives after that.

        Jan D.