Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 23:39:51 +0100

> If we are to use a bug tracker, it must allow people to do everything
> thru email if they wish to, and must make that mode convenient.

I don't know what ESR plans to do, but speaking from my technical
knowledge about the system I use: people would use email by default for
altering bug reports. You could add comentaries, assign owners, close,
and reopen them. The only requisite is that your e-mail message should
carry a prominent, non-ambiguous command and a reference to the bug
report. This is usually a number plus some marker, such as #1341.

Optionally, people could use email for creating bug reports too, through
report-emacs-bug. Those email reports that does not conform to the
format generated by report-emacs-bug would require human intervention to
register them. I volunteer to do that.

For reading them, you either use the web interface or ask the system for
a plain text version of the report(s) you want.

--
Oscar