Re: Put hide-ifdef on menu-bar?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Put hide-ifdef on menu-bar?
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 06:31:51 -0500

    Also, Eclipse allows fringe elements which do not scroll with the
    window contents.  This turns out to be pretty handy.

I do not understand what that means.

    For instance you could show the user the visible area of the current
    buffer (relative to the size of the whole buffer) as a different
    background color.

That sounds like a scroll bar.  We have scroll bars.
Or perhaps I simply don't understand.

    In Eclipse you can see little blocks in the
    right-hand fringe which represent errors, problems, etc, and you can
    click them to jump to the corresponding point.

I do not understand why you want these not to scroll with the text
they apply to.