Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 10:31:32 -0500

>> > Seems reasonable to me as well, except -- do we really want to show all
>> > uncontrolled files and have no option to suppress them?
>>
>> I don't understand: every VCS I know has some way to label files as "to
>> be ignored".  So there is always an "option to suppress them".

> Yes, but you sure don't want to have to set an ignore property by hand
> on every member of a huge tree you happen to have in your working
> directory and *don't* want to be in the repo.

I don't see a problem here: you set the "ignore" property on the tree
itself, of course, not on each individual file.

In any case, I don't understand what this has to do with VC: no matter
which front-end you're going to use, you'll hit the same problem, and
the answer is always the same: use the "ignore" property.

        Stefan