Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 01:06:12 +0000

>     I've edited the current CVS etc/TODO file and made it org friendly:
>
>       http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/u/TODO.org
>
> It is interesting.  I don't really know how to use Org mode, but
> I could learn.
>
> If someone adds an ordinary entry of the form used in etc/TODO,
> what will Org mode do with it?  Will it get confused?

Not at all.

Even though it would be better to have shorter headings, putting the
full description of the issues in the subtree itself.

Doing M-x org-mode on TODO will hide all the the subtrees.

Each item can then be unfolded with the TAB key, which cycle the
visibility of the entry at point through these states: fold, show
children, show all.  Nothing that you wouldn't be able to achieve
with outline and a combination of hide-* show-*, but Org makes it
easy.

>     You can see these columns: status, importance, owner, version, system,
>     milestone, and file.
>
> I don't see the ones past "version".  I guess they are truncated.
> What is the command to view them?

M-x org-columns

The line starting with #+COLUMNS: is really a formatting line defining
what properties should be displayed in the columns.  Obviously the total
width of the columns is too large for you.  When the column view is
active, you can move columns to the left or to the right with M-<left>
or M-<right>.

But first things first: the column view is a pretty advanced feature of
Org.  Before that, there are to-do keywords and tags.

The manual is very accurate, but let me know if you need more pointers.

--
Bastien