Re: Printing on M$

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Printing on M$
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:12:57 +0200

> Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:24:47 +0000
> From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
> Cc: "Lennart Borgman \(gmail\)" <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs Devel <address@hidden>
>
> dhruva wrote:
> > 1. For the first attempt, it is enough to have a M$ application like
> > behavior for Emacs on M$? On selecting "Print", display the dialog box
> > to select the printer and set all the printer specifics and print the
> > buffer. This is the normal way it is done in most applications on M$.
> >
> The objective should be to print natively on all platforms. GTK has a
> similar method of printing to Windows as I understand it, so if you want
> to work on support for Windows, it is probably best to read the GTK docs
> as well, and try to write code that can be shared between the
> implementations.

That's best if dhruva can do it.  But if printing natively on all
platforms is too much of a challenge, I'd settle for a simpler
alternative: have a separate program that Emacs will invoke and pipe
text to, and have that program pop up the Windows Print menu and print
using GDI.  That would be similar to what Emacs does on Posiz systems:
invokes `lpr', an external program.

> Normally on Windows, printing code is shared with redisplay, but the
> optimisations in Emacs's redisplay code may make this difficult.

If that is a problem, the optimizations can be disabled.