Re: Simple Tasks, new TODO category

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Simple Tasks, new TODO category
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 00:19:01 +0100

Jason Rumney wrote:
Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
Here are a few w32 specific bugs I can remember right now out of my head that have not been entered in FOR-RELEASE:

- Menu handling is broken IMO. You can not add accelerators to menus.
No, you can't but "broken" is a bit strong for this deficiency. We discussed how accelerators might be added in a platform independent way once before, but as usual noone is willing to propose a proper design and write the code.

Ok, it is a bit strong. I just got a bit irritated since what I already used for this stopped working.

I believe a proper design should specify the position for the char in the menu that should be the accelerator.

However the most easy way to do that is probably to add a character to the menu title string that could not possibly be part of the title. That way we could easily support w32 and, eh what window manager (is that what handles menus?) used _ to mark the accelerator? (Jan D, I think it was you that told about this when I asked before. GNOME?)

Is there any drawback with such a simple design? Could we for example use char number 1? It should be very easy to implement for w32 and the other case above (where char 1 is just replaced with & and the other case where it is replaced with _).

This is due to handling of & chars at the wrong moment in the C sources.
I'm not sure what you mean by the "wrong moment". I have tried putting & characters at various positions in menu entries, and it seems to be consistently escaped so as not to conflict with Windows internal usage of unescaped & to denote accelerators.

I was thinking about something like the suggestion above.