Re: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mappeddrive

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mappeddrive
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:28:17 +0200

> From: Michael Albinus <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:18:43 +0100
>
> (nth 11 (file-attributes "~/src/emacs/lisp"))
>  => 2049
> (nth 11 (file-attributes "~/src/tramp/lisp"))
>  => 24
>
> "~/src/emacs" is a link to "/usr/local/src/emacs". The device number
> 2049 is related to device "/", which has the device type "ext2/ext3".
>
> "~/src/tramp" is a link to "/mnt/src/tramp". The device number 24 is
> related to device "/mnt/src", which has the device type "UNKNOWN".
>
> These information (and other ones, if necessary) might be sufficient to
> determine whether a given file is "mounted locally". Implementation
> shall happen in Emacs C core,of course.

Are you saying that files with device number below a certain threshold
are guaranteed to be on a remote mounted volume?  If so, what is that
threshold, and is this universal among Posix platforms?

Also, wouldn't file-attributes (which calls `stat' internally) try to
access the mounted volume, and thus be as slow as the file access we
want to avoid?  For example, I thought that a call to `stat' would try
to mount automounted volumes, but perhaps I'm confused.