Re: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mappeddrive

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mappeddrive
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:33:54 -0500

>> I don't see the problem: Tramp should simply always return nil.
>> That's fine.  The code (doc-view) will than fallback on the use of
>> file-local-copy to pass the file's content to the local process.

> I'm really sorry, Stefan, but in this case I'm too stupid to see what's
> the value of this function. In the remote case it shall always return
> nil - this could be checked by (not (file-remote-p file)). What does the
> function return the local case? Just the file name, expanded?

For the "/:" file-name handler, file-remote-p should return nil, and
unhandled-file-name should return the filename with the "/:" stripped.
For url-handler-mode, the "file://" should not be considered remote
either and unhandled-file-name should return the filename with the
"file://" stripped.

> Maybe it helps to see your use case in doc-view.el?

Given a filename (typically ending in ".pdf"), decide whether we can
pass it directly to a pdf2png program, or whether we first need to use
file-local-copy.

        Stefan