Re: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mappeddrive

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mappeddrive
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 11:34:12 -0500

> There might be cases where this is still not sufficient. Think about a
> Samba server, which offers several "shares" one cannot simply navigate
> via `file-relative-name'. But given that the "smb" method of Tramp
> does not support `process-file' and `start-file-process' (yet?), it
> might be a good approximation to check for `file-name-absolute-p'.

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

> If I've checked correctly, only ange-ftp.el, tramp.el and
> url-handlers.el offer an own implementation of
> `unhandled-file-name-directory'.  It might not be necessary to
> delegate the implementation to those packages; the case of
> "remoteness" could be handled directly in
> Funhandled_file_name_directory.

And I do not understand what implementation of
Funhandled_file_name_directory you have in mind.
Also note:

  (unhandled-file-name-directory "/:/toto/titi") -> "/toto"

and the intention is to add at some point:

  (unhandled-file-name-directory "file:///toto/titi") -> "/toto"

> Just being curious: url-handlers.el misses an own implementation of
> `file-remote-p'; shouldn't it be there?

Yes, it should.  Patches welcome ;-)

        Stefan