Re: unexec problem

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: unexec problem
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 22:06:06 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 03:04:25 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden
>
>     > When I try to bootstrap, bootstrap-emacs crashes
>     > in the first call to malloc.  Experience shows this is
>     > usually due to a bug in the unexec mechanism.
>     > However, unexelf.c is unchanged from Emacs 22.
>     >
>     > Since this sort of thing is a big pain to debug,
>     > does anyone have any clues?
>
>     Is this on the trunk?
>
> Yes.  And it worked a week ago.
> I think the unicode merge broke it.

Probably.

How about running the bootstrap temacs (the one that is dumped to
produce bootstrap-emacs) under GDB with a breakpoint in malloc, and
recording all calls to malloc with their callers?  Then you could
compare that with a similar run for a pre-merge CVS, and look for some
callers that could potentially lead to corruption of the malloc chain
the the dumped executable.